Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Head up, eyes up, pray up.

A guest of ours came up to me and my coworker today as we were closing.

He said: "What is 865,000 x 68?"

We looked at each other with confused faces.  We said we didn't know so we took out a calculator.  We gave him the number and helped him read it out.  All I could think was "why does this man want to know this?".  We finally asked him and he said:

"That's the total number of blessings I have gotten in my entire life."

He starting giggling with joy when we emphasized how big of a number that was.  I thought to myself how in the world does this guy think he has gotten so many blessings?  Who does he think is praying for him so much?  We finally asked him where he got those numbers from and he said:

"That is the total number of seconds that I have been alive."

I started doing the math in my head thinking that couldn't be right; but then I stopped.  Seeing him so happy and cheerful made me realize it wasn't the number that was important.  It was realizing that every second is a blessing from God on this earth.  I couldn't believe it.  A man living on the streets suffering from many injustices having that much faith; having more faith than me.  He then said:

"And I am still young!" (65 years old)

We started laughing together.  Together we were celebrating the number of blessings he has received in his life and the countless number of blessings he is yet to receive.  In the middle of all the laughter he said:

Wait a second. How many people are on the earth?

I gave him an estimate.  The realization on his face after thinking each person on this earth has gotten one blessing for every second of their life was truly genuine.  He pointed up to the sky laughing and said:

"You are amazing."

No comments:

Post a Comment